Border bridge

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, 19th C, 15th C, 18th C in Fontan
  • This building replaces a first bridge built in the middle of the 15th century by the general salt gabelier, to whom the Duke of Savoy grants the monopoly of this precious commodity in exchange for the construction and maintenance of the road and bridges.

  • Expanded during the construction of the Royal Road in 1780, this bridge was later built. It became a border bridge in 1860 when the county of Nice became French again, it was destroyed by the Germans in April 1945 and rebuilt in 1946. After the reunification of Tende and La Brigue with France on September 16, 1947, their inhabitants seal a plaque indicating: "By the will of the populations of Tende and Brigue France no longer ends here."
  • Spoken languages
    • French
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday