Gorbio

Chapel of the White Penitents of Gorbio

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, 15th C in Gorbio

  • This chapel was built in 1445 (a lintel engraved 1445 surmounts an entrance with an original door). This chapel was used as a parish church when the vault of the old Romanesque church collapsed in the mid 17th century.

  • This chapel opposite the church of St Bartholomew was built in 1445 (a lintel engraved 1445 surmounts an entrance with an original door). This chapel was used as a parish church when the vault of the old Romanesque church collapsed in the mid 17th century.
    The chapel is dedicated to the "Holy Cross and Mary Magdalene".
    The chapel was restored by the municipality in 2015. The inauguration of this achievement was made on 17 September 2017 under the patronage of Mgr Guy Terrancle canon Vicar...
    This chapel opposite the church of St Bartholomew was built in 1445 (a lintel engraved 1445 surmounts an entrance with an original door). This chapel was used as a parish church when the vault of the old Romanesque church collapsed in the mid 17th century.
    The chapel is dedicated to the "Holy Cross and Mary Magdalene".
    The chapel was restored by the municipality in 2015. The inauguration of this achievement was made on 17 September 2017 under the patronage of Mgr Guy Terrancle canon Vicar General emeritus representing the bishop Mgr André Marceau.
    Since the 17th century, the Confraternity of the White Penitents of the Holy Cross has been based in this chapel. Today, still active, they maintain all the religious traditions and in particular the feast of the slugs, the Thursday following Corpus Christi.
    Furniture: Oil on canvas from the end of the 17th century representing a deposition of Christ.
    The banner of the Sacred Heart 19th century. Cross and Venetian lantern of procession in polychrome wood.

    Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
  • Spoken languages

Our suggestions