See photos (2)

Saint-Bernard Chapel

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, 15th C in Castellar

  • The Saint Bernard chapel is located on the GR52, at 760m altitude, at the pass of the same name, an hour’s walk from the village. First mentioned in 1582, it probably has a medieval origin.

  • The present chapel dates from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It is located on a strategic place known probably since antiquity and the Middle Ages. Bernard de Clairvaux took this path to go to Rome as a councillor of the Popes and Kings in the 12th century.
    On the Pointe de la Penna, are the remains of an infantry structure of the Maginot Line - Fortified Sector of the Alpes-Maritimes, used to contain the Italian advance in June 1940.
  • Spoken languages

Our suggestions