Rue du Vieux Château

Street of the old castle.

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Road, Town of Art & History in Menton
  • Until 1865 it was called "Freedom, at the time of the Revolution. It owes its present name to the fact that it ends at the foot of the walls of the old castle of John II.

  • The name of this street recalls the fortified structure that crowned the medieval city and was intended to protect it from the Genoese invaders, pirates and barbarians. Small low houses, which had only one floor, were spread out along winding and narrow streets. All these houses have undergone transformations over the centuries, which explains their current state: broken vaults, enlarged windows, elevations… Support keys, made of wood or iron, were installed after the earthquakes, which...
    The name of this street recalls the fortified structure that crowned the medieval city and was intended to protect it from the Genoese invaders, pirates and barbarians. Small low houses, which had only one floor, were spread out along winding and narrow streets. All these houses have undergone transformations over the centuries, which explains their current state: broken vaults, enlarged windows, elevations… Support keys, made of wood or iron, were installed after the earthquakes, which affected the area, especially that of 1887.
    The Rue du Vieux Château is made up of large stairs called «at a donkey’s pace» because they were easy access to the beasts of burden. Tower houses, or fortified houses, allowed the defense of the medieval city.
    Legend has it that three forbans from Lampedusa, a small Mediterranean island between Malta and Africa, settled on the rocky hill of Menton. Three alleys of the old town: Aquassoma, Capodanna and Mattoni bear the name of these pirates who built a landmark at their convenience.
    In this labyrinth, they could easily lose their attackers who had managed to cross the walls of the enclosure. Such were taken who believed to take!

    Caption: The John II Gate in the 19th century
  • Environment
    • Town location
    • In the historic centre
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday
Close