Ancien Palace : Grand Hôtel de Venise - L'Orangeraie

Old Palace: Grand Hotel of Venice - L'Orangeraie

Park and garden, Garden, Private garden in Menton
  • The Grand Hôtel de Venise, now the Orangeraie, created at the end of the 19th century, welcomed the prestigious guests of the Belle Époque. Discover the charm of a palace garden between orange and palm trees.

  • The Hôtel Beau Séjour appeared between 1865 and 1870. On the alignment plan drawn up in 1879, it appears under the name of Hôtel de Venise. In the 1884 administrative and commercial directory of the Alpes-Maritimes, it is designated as the Hôtel de Venise and Continental. It is operated by Alphonse Depouzier. A postcard posted in 1906 shows it in its original state, consisting of a three-storey building on the ground floor. The three central bays are joined and topped by a triangular...
    The Hôtel Beau Séjour appeared between 1865 and 1870. On the alignment plan drawn up in 1879, it appears under the name of Hôtel de Venise. In the 1884 administrative and commercial directory of the Alpes-Maritimes, it is designated as the Hôtel de Venise and Continental. It is operated by Alphonse Depouzier. A postcard posted in 1906 shows it in its original state, consisting of a three-storey building on the ground floor. The three central bays are joined and topped by a triangular pediment. In 1913, an application for a permit to raise the building by one floor was submitted in the name of Charles Martini. Another application was submitted in 1924 for an extension, again in the name of Charles Martini. The architect for the work was Félix Vérola. Among other things, seven additional bays were added on the west side, built in the same style. It is currently still a hotel.
    The hotel is located in rue Partouneaux, as are several other hotels from this period. It is situated at the end of a garden which isolates it from the street. It is a large, elongated building (70 m x 11 m) with a wing set at right angles to the east and various extensions at the rear. It has four storeys on the ground floor, the whole being covered with hipped roofs of flat mechanical tiles. In the south-east corner, a ground-floor forebuilding, covered by a terrace, houses the entrance porch and the salons. The entrance is sheltered by a wrought iron marquee.
    The front facade is arranged around six slightly recessed central bays, surmounted by a pediment in the centre and crowned by an attic, an attic that is found above the two bays that frame the facade. The addition of seven bays on the left has unbalanced the order. All the bays open onto balconies or balconies. On the third level they are topped by triangular pediments.

    https://dossiersinventaire.maregionsud.fr/dossier/hotel-de-voyageurs-dit-hotel-beau-sejour-puis-grand-hotel-de-venise-actuellement-l-orangeraie/ba0b2384-b707-4566-9110-9a040e415982
  • Spoken languages
    • English
    • French
    • Italian
Services
  • Accessibility
    • Accessible for self-propelled wheelchairs
    • Reserved space 330 cm wide < 100 m from the site
    • Minimum aisle width of 90 cm
    • Site, building totally accessible
  • Equipment
    • Parking
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday
    * Visible from the outside only (except for guided tours).
Close