See photos (2)

Saint John Anglican Church

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church in Menton
  • Built in 1867 in the neo-Gothic style. Completely renovated, the walls of the apse decorated with marble and Italian mosaics in the Pre-Raphaelite style. The base of the altar is made of wood and represents the disciples of Emmaus and the sacrament.

  • After the fall of the French Empire and the restoration of the Grimaldis in 1814, the British resumed their habits on the European continent.
    In March 1823, Lady Blessington stayed in Menton.
    In 1834, an English ophthalmologist, Charles Nayler, married Caroline de Bréa, niece of General de Bréa; every year they came to spend the winter in Menton. The British trend developed and led to the construction of three churches in our town: two Anglican churches, Christ Church (built in the Bay of...
    After the fall of the French Empire and the restoration of the Grimaldis in 1814, the British resumed their habits on the European continent.
    In March 1823, Lady Blessington stayed in Menton.
    In 1834, an English ophthalmologist, Charles Nayler, married Caroline de Bréa, niece of General de Bréa; every year they came to spend the winter in Menton. The British trend developed and led to the construction of three churches in our town: two Anglican churches, Christ Church (built in the Bay of Garavan in 1860-61 and consecrated on 25 December 1862) and Saint-John Church, and the Scottish Presbyterian Church (built in the Rue de la République in 1889-1890 and opened for worship in January 1891)
    The Saint-Jean l'Evangeliste church was built in 1867, at the corner of Avenues de Verdun and Carnot, under the aegis of the son of its first pastor, the Reverend William Barber, originally from Leicester, who was stationed in Menton from 1864 to 1878. Unlike the East Bay church, this one was built in the fashionable neo-Gothic style. Completed in the autumn of 1868, it was surrounded by a beautiful gate along the imperial road No. 7.
    In 1875, an altar dedicated to the Virgin Mary was added in the new north aisle. The slender, slate-covered bell tower collapsed in the earthquake of 1887. It was not rebuilt.
    The church has been completely renovated in recent years.
    The walls of the apse are decorated with marble and Italian mosaics in the Pre-Raphaelite style; the base of the altar is made of wood and depicts the disciples of Emmaus and the Holy Communion.
  • Spoken languages
    • English
    • French
Services
  • Equipment
    • Book shop
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
Close